Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Off My Walker

Today I am a little over 5 weeks post op. I have been using a walker to get around, and it's been nice to have the safety of the bar across the front of it. It's not like it could catch me if I fell, but it's visually comforting. While I have alternately slept in a drug haze or sat stone faced binge watching Friends re-reuns for the past several weeks, I have healed and not considered what is next. I didn't want to over think anything and be disappointed. So I was using my walker, and that was it.

A few weeks ago I started using my cane to go up and down the stairs, but the walker was at either end for me. The crutches given to me at the hospital were unwieldy at best when I was released, so I hid them at home behind the coat tree in a corner and forgot about them.

Today, my PT suggested I try them. After hurting a muscle under my arm when I was far less stable and able, I was extremely wary of getting back on those sticks. But lo and behold, it was easy! She showed me how to navigate the stairs with them, and I didn't ned the walker waiting for me. This is new freedom people. Now I don't need anyone to help me, only supervise in case I do a skater thing and get clumsy off ice. If you aren't familiar with skating, there is a well used item that is very handy for crutches.


These are called soakers. 
Figure skaters put them on after drying their blades to keep them from rusting. 

At the suggestion of a skating friend, I put these on top of the crutches and, voila! Instant comfort. Another skating friend sent them to me and I haven't skated because of my hip. So it all worked out.

I have my 6 week X-ray next week. The doc will tell me if I can bear more weight on my leg and when I can start PT and maybe drive. I have successfully distracted myself (with a little narcotic assistance) from being bored. I have a project that I had intended to do that hasn't happened yet. But I am planning to get to it soon. Not telling yet, but I'll post and detail when I start it!

For now . . . I'm off my walker!

0 comments:

Post a Comment