Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Tripping' Out

I've been getting out of the house! I had a trip to Costco where I drove one of those electric carts. My kids thought that was great, and enjoyed cheering me on from the cart they were in. It was interesting to see how people treated me, saying excuse me and moving out of my way politely. Only one person looked annoyed. People randomly leave their carts all about the aisles at Costco, and until I was in the electric cart, I've never seen anyone remorseful about it in the least. 

But aside from that issue, it was really great to be out! I have faithfully followed the doctor's and physical therapist's orders for limited activity and rest for six weeks. Was I bored? I got asked that question a lot. The answer? HELL NO! This has been the best nap I've had in six years, and likely the best rest I'll have for at least the next 15. To be fair, I was high for at least the first three and half weeks on pain meds. That truly made time fly. I have never tried drugs, but under these controlled circumstances, I must say I really enjoyed it. I have had no trouble weaning off, and never had any thought or worry that I would become addicted. I do understand that concern, I just knew it wouldn't be   an issue for me.  Now that I am more lucid, I'm still not bored. Well, only a little. But I have plenty to keep me busy, not the least of which is noticing the cleaning and organizing I am still not able to do. 

In my switch from walker to crutches, I took a small fall, fortunately into a cushy couch. The PT's comment was, "Slow down!", something I need to remember daily. As it turns out, my oblique muscle that was detached during surgery has a wonderful way of reminding me to do just that. Ow, ow, ow. 

Since that first outing to Costco I have been to the craft store twice, the supermarket once, and to a horse show my daughter wanted to watch. I can feel the difference in my body and my movements. I do have to actively focus on not going too fast, and using crutches requires more effort because they move independently and the walker doesn't. Nonetheless, freedom is at hand!

0 comments:

Post a Comment