Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Good Blood Not-Letting

Worry and nerves have begun to set in. I asked my doctor about the possibility that I might need a transfusion. Apparently he uses a technology called 'cell-saver' that is supposed to mitigate blood loss during surgery. I am hopeful. But nonetheless, I decided to go donate one unit of my own blood as a back up. If I need a transfusion, I'd like to have my own blood

I have never given blood before, but I figured it was like getting a blood test. Except they feed you after and give you a blanket. Yes? I arrived at the hospital and the desk person thanked me in advance for donating blood when I asked which way to the blood donation center. I chuckled because it's for me. Then felt a little selfish that I haven't ever donated.

Upon finding Annie the technician, I filled out paperwork and shivered at the cold room air, wishing I hadn't left my sweater in the car. But it was 85 degrees outside. Why would I have needed a sweater?Finally after all the paperwork and insurance card shuffling, Annie stuck the tip of my ring finger (OWIE!!) to check my hemoglobin level. And . . . Disappointment. The lowest they will consider to take blood is 12. My level? 10.5.
   

Ahh, so I am still anemic after all. I have been for as long as I can remember. I just didn't know it was still that low. That explains the fatigue and weakness. Annie wished me luck and told me to go eat a steak.

0 comments:

Post a Comment