Saturday, September 14, 2013

Independence Day

All summer I have been teaching my kids to get their own breakfast. Toward the end of summer, one of my boys was able to do it all from start to finish. Then slowly, my daughter was able to as well. Now when I tell them it's time yo eat in the morning, they go in the kitchen and take care of everything. One of the boys loves to be the 'chef', and took it upon himself to just make breakfast for all three of them. I purposely stay out of the took, but within earshot (in case of emergency), and it's really cute to hear him tell the other the 'breakfast is ready!'.

I smile to myself when I see them becoming independent. It's what my job is - teach them so they become self sufficient and contributing members of society. But I can't help thinking about my pending surgery. One that will render me DE-pendent for awhile. When I told the kids about my surgery, I told them I would need very special helpers. Someone to put my socks on, someone to make me breakfast, bring me a blanket, etc. They immediately jumped in with ideas of what they can all do. My daughter said, "Mommy, I can rub your back". Oh how I love this girl.

The whole point of teaching them to do things themselves is what I mentioned above. It started this summer so they could do things while I am laid up. But really, this is the start of independence they will always need. We often tell them, "We are family, and family takes care of each other". I think they are off to a good start.

0 comments:

Post a Comment